I keep trying recipes with soy based products like tofu and often, although they were fine, they weren’t great. Now this recipe was great. Tempeh Salad Sandwich Filling (Moosewood Restaurant Low-fat Favorites)
1. Buy 8 oz package of tempeh, found by the other soy products. I bought a 5-grain version which I really liked, the added grain gives the soy lots of structure and texture.
2. Buy celery, a bell pepper (I went with a red one but the choice is yours), a red onion and some fresh flat leaf parsley.
3. When you get home, cut the tempeh into 1/2 inch cubes and use a veggie steamer to steam the cubes for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile dice a 1/2 cup of celery, a 1/2 cup of bell pepper, and 2 tbls of parsley.
5. Dice also a 1/4 cup red onion, place in a strainer and rinse with cold water.
6. In a small bowl whisk 1/4 cup of plain yogurt, 2 tbls of of mayonnaise, 1 tbls of Dijon mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
7. When the tempeh is done, place in a medium bowl and sprinkle with 1 tbls of soy sauce.
8. Add the celery, bell pepper, onion, parsley and dressing to bowl and toss.
Serve cold or at room temperature in a sandwich just like you would chicken salad. I used my delicious amaranth flatbread. Yummy!