OMG…that is all I can say, OMG. You don’t think that pureed black beans and sweet potatoes can be fantastic and yet they can. Love. It.
Make one batch of frijoles de la olla, (classic mexican “pot” beans) Recipe from Rick Bayliss. They are fantastic and I could have just eaten them plain. Onions, Beans, Water, Espazote and a little salt should not be this good.
Even better when you add a few things:
- 5 cups of sweet potato cubes boiled (with a little salt) for about 10 minutes until tender and drained
- Put some oil in a frying pan, fry some onion, 4 cloves of garlic and a chopped green chili (I used a very potent Serrano)
- Add 4 tsp of coriander and 4 tsp of cumin freshly ground and toasted for a few minutes in the pan with the aromatics.
- Put cooked sweet potatoes, 4 1/2 cups of cooked black beans, 2/3 cup of fresh cilantro, 2 tbls of fresh lemon juice, and 1 tsp of salt in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add the onion/spice combo from the frying pan and mix.
- Put in some flour tortillas, roll-up and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Serve with fresh tomato salsa, lettuce and some queso.